Welcome to a discussion about the upcoming 5th Revolution in the US, which I’ve titled the “Revenge Revolution.” For more about the Revenge Revolution and the author, Entry #1. Periodically I write a “sense check” to assess whether a revolution in the US is possible or whether the entire exercise is based on a statistical aberration — i.e., a roughly 50-year cycle between major upheavals in the US Entry #476 was the most recent “sense check.”
BEGIN ENTRY #478: Well, well. The democracy gods were working this week. In no particular order:
- Trump’s legal defense against the special counsel Jack Smith lost ground. BTW, have Trump’s lawyers won any arguments in court lately?
- Former Trump Administration VP Mike Pence testified to the January 6 grand jury for most of Thursday (04/27). Transcripts were sealed but apparently Pence answered many questions.
- E. Jean Carroll’s rape suit against Trump proceeded in Manhattan courtroom. The Donald was not present for Carroll’s testimony. Wonder what the jury will think about the defendant being absent during the trial. Gee Donald, cat got your tongue? Or maybe Trump’s counsel was afraid of a typical tirade from the Donald when the questioning got tough.
- Fani Willis, Fulton County (Georgia) DA sent a letter to the county sheriff about beefing up security in and around the courthouse from early July through mid-September. Maybe an indictment is on its way?
- Tucker, Carlson, Fox News’ most profitable talking head, was fired. Apparently, the termination had nothing to do with Carlson’s repeated lies on the air. Rather, the termination followed the Murdoch family becoming aware of Carlson’s texts that were derogatory to family members. Where were Fox’s lawyers in all of this? The texts had been available for months as part of the discovery process in the Dominion suit. Seems that Fox’s counsel never bothered to review the unredacted versions other than a day or two before the trial was to start.
- While likely there won’t be any repercussions, we learned of another example of unethical behavior by a conservative Supreme Court justice. Associate Justice Gorsuch did not report selling property to a law firm that frequently argues before SCOTUS. Oh well, you know those disclosure rules are for less-important people and besides, such rules are an inconvenience. Besides, Clarence Thomas told me no disclosure was required.
- Mickey Mouse roared at Ron DeSantis. The Walt Disney Company filed a lawsuit against Florida Governor DeSantis about shenanigans DeSantis took to strip Disney of long-held rights to manage development on its property in Orlando. Why? Little Ronnie doesn’t like Disney’s personnel policies that provide protection for everyone — youknow, those people.
The hard right did have its moments this week. For example, the Montana House, dominated by Republicans, banished a transgender member from being allowed in the chamber. The trans representative now must work in the hall. Why? She spoke in support of LGBTQ people. Can you imagine how disruptive that was to the legislative process? Guys, pick an issue that matters. Who cares if the person is trans? Wait until one of your family members comes out. Banish them too?
Enough for now. Yes, a week of progress on the rational front! END #478
Other Topics. Interested in more info about climate change, what’s required to electrify a fleet of cars/trucks, what it was like to work day-to-day with Lee Iacocca and an array of other topics? Visit another page of this website, https://usrevolution5.com/jrd-thought-comments/